27 Mar Banana Nut Protein Pancakes & Berry Syrup (G FREE!)
When I was little, my mom would make me and all the kids in the neighborhood pancakes. It was her thing. I remember her in a Harley Davidson tee shirt (she never rode a Harley but my Papa did and bought us all tees) and her blonde curly hair in our tiny kitchen flipping pancakes. Aside from the memories, deliciously golden pancakes soaking up maple syrup is my idea of heaven. What I don’t love is how promptly after eating pancakes I feel like I need a nap (hello blood sugar crash) and my sweat pants (and hello belly bloat.) So I set out to create an all natural, clean, gluten free pancake recipe that tastes freakin’ awesome, keeps your blood sugar stable and helps fuel your metabolism!
Here’s what I did. I combined mashed banana with protein rich eggs, swapped white flour for gluten free almond flour (finely ground almonds you can buy in the baking aisle at your market), added a big dash of pure vanilla and a touch of baking soda and baking powder for a naturally sweet, fluffy pancake that pairs perfectly with strawberries seeped in pure maple syrup. The eggs in the batter add some protein to boost your metabolism, but you may want to add an egg on the side for a bit extra. BONUS: You can wrap freeze these pancakes and then just pop them in the toaster for a fast breakfast on the go! If you love this recipe as much as I do, please share it via social media below!!
Banana Nut Protein Pancakes & Berry Syrup (G FREE!)
Makes about 3 servings (about 2 pancakes each serving)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PANCAKES:
- 1 ripe banana, mashed well
- 2 large whole eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extra (gluten free)
- 3/4 cup firmly packed Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Natural Almond Flour from Whole Almonds (most markets carry this in the baking aisle or the natural foods / gluten free aisle)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (gluten free)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (gluten free)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- all natural cooking spray
INGREDIENTS FOR BERRY SYRUP:
- 1 heaping cup chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (not artificial!)
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Pour the almond flour mixture into the banana egg mixture and stir just until combined.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, coat with cooking spray. Let the coated pan heat up for about 2 minutes. Add about 1/4 cup pancake batter per pancake to the pan (make about 3 pancakes per batch.) Let the pancakes cook low and slow…don’t flip until lightly golden brown and edges begin to firm. Flip and cook for a few minutes on the other side or until pancakes are set and lightly golden brown. Be patient- and lower the heat if the pan starts smoking.
- Serve with just a touch of the strawberry syrup (the less syrup you add the better to keep blood sugar stable, so go light!) or serve with just a touch of your favorite pure maple syrup. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This recipe has a good balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat. It’s a complete meal.