19 Oct Buffalo Chicken Chili
So it’s Fall and football season which means it’s the perfect time for chili. Personally, regular chili bores me, but my Buffalo Chicken Chili is anything but boring! It’s actually almost famous because it’s been featured on both the New England Patriots website and the Hill-Man Morning Show on WAAF Boston plus you guys share it like crazy, so thanks! This easy, delicious meal is a unique combination of spicy buffalo chicken and flavorful chili, all in one pot. Ground chicken or turkey lends this dish plenty of muscle building protein, while vitamin and fiber-rich veggies and rice or beans add healthy carbohydrates. The end result is a rich and deceptively lean chili that is perfect for a game day get together. The recipe calls for black beans or rice depending on your desired tastes. Set up a chili bar with fun garnishes like all natural cheddar cheese, 1 or 2% plain Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), fresh chopped cilantro and red onion so guests can customize their chili. If you love this chili, please share it! Go Pats!
Buffalo Chicken Chili
This recipe makes about 6 to 8 servings
- All natural cooking spray
- 1 ½ lbs 93 -94% lean organic ground turkey or chicken
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely minced
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced or grated
- About 2/3 to 1 cup all natural buffalo wing sauce like Wing Time (I like “medium”- find it at Whole Foods)
- 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes , blended in a nutribullet or blender until smooth
- 2 each 15 oz cans of black beans, rinsed and drained OR 1 ½ cups cooked brown basmati rice
- Small handful fresh cilantro, chopped (about ¼ cup)
Chili Bar Garnishes:
- Lime wedges
- 1 or 2% fat plain Greek yogurt
- All natural cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Chopped red onion
- All natural tortilla chips (I like gluten free)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Spray bottom of the pan with cooking spray and let it get hot. Once hot, add ground chicken or turkey. Break up meat really well with a spoon. Add cumin, fresh thyme, sea salt and paprika. Cook until no longer pink, about 7 minutes or so.
- Once chicken or turkey is cooked, remove from pot with a slotted spoon, keeping as much fat as possible in the pot. Set meat aside in a small bowl.
- If the pot doesn’t have enough fat, spray it again with cooking spray. Saute onion, celery, green bell pepper and jalapeno until soft, approximately 6 minutes. Season with a touch of sea salt. Stir in garlic and cook one additional minute.
- Add chicken or turkey back into pan and stir. Add hot sauce, tomatoes, and beans OR rice. Stir in cilantro. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until flavors come together.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary. Serve with chili bar garnishes. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This recipe has a great balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat and is a complete meal.