15 May Bacon Corn and Avocado Dip
Yup, this delicious dip has bacon. And corn. But bear with me. I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve that actually make this dip good for you (bacon and corn included). First up, I used uncured, all-natural bacon (find it at Whole Foods) because it doesn’t contain nitrates and imparts an amazing smoky flavor. And corn has gotten a horrific rep over the years because of GMO’s. The fix is simple; just use organic corn and then reap the many benefits corn has to offer including it’s high levels of potassium, fiber, and the cancer busting antioxidants carotenoids, Vitamin A and C. Avocado binds the dip together and is loaded in Vitamins B, E and heart healthy fats. Serve this amazing dip with gluten free all natural tortilla chips, Terra Vegetable Chips, thick cut bell peppers or on top of grilled chicken.
Bacon Corn and Avocado Dip
This recipe makes about 8 servings
- 5 pieces of thick, uncured, nitrate free bacon (find at Whole Foods)
- 1 small bag (or ½ standard size bag) of frozen organic white sweet or yellow corn, thawed and drained very well and patted dry with paper towels OR 5 large ears of fresh organic corn, grilled and cooled.
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- Juice from one lime
- Big handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large avocados, cut into chunks
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Cook bacon in a frying pan over medium low heat. Chop into pieces and set aside.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pan. Saute the corn in the bacon fat for about 5 minutes.
- Once completely cooled, toss corn, onion, and garlic. Add fresh lime and cilantro. Gently fold in the avocado.
- Season well with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately for the best flavor. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This recipe is mostly carbohydrates and fat. I like having a lean protein like grilled shrimp or chicken on the side for a balanced meal. See my serving suggestions in the intro paragraph above.