21 Apr 5 Minute Chicken, Quinoa and Avocado Toss
I feel guilty even calling this a recipe; it’s too easy! I’m a big believer in preparing 3 food items in bulk each week: chicken (for protein), a big salad (for vitamins, antioxidants, fiber and healthy carbs) and either quinoa, brown rice or sweet potatoes (for clean carbs). Having high quality foods prepared in bulk each week makes eating clean easy and it allows you to prepare meals in minutes! So aside from being quick to prepare, this recipe is also loaded in good-for-you nutrition. Quinoa is one of the few plant-based complete protein foods available and boasts fiber, vitamins and minerals too, including the antioxidant Vitamin E that protects your cells from damage. Avocados are high in vitamins plus unsaturated fat and fiber. Add a squeeze of antioxidant rich fresh lime and orange juice…yum! And as always, this recipe has an awesome balance of protein (from the chicken and quinoa), carbohydrates (from the veggies and quinoa) and fat (from avocados) to help you burn fat, put on some lean sexy muscle and feel energized all day long. It’s the perfect quick lunch or dinner to fuel up and load up on the good stuff!
5 Minute Chicken, Quinoa and Avocado Toss
Makes 1 serving
- your favorite cooking spray (or drizzle of extra virgin olive oil)
- about 3 to 4 ounces of cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- a pinch of cayenne (optional)
- a pinch of sea salt (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- big squeeze of fresh orange juice
- big squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 1/3 avocado, chopped
- tablespoon of chopped red onion
- handful of fresh grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced length-wise
- handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat a small frying pan over medium high heat. Once hot, coat with cooking spray or drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Add chicken, quinoa and fresh garlic. Saute for a few minutes until hot.
- Season with salt (optional) and pepper to taste. Add a little cayenne if you want some heat.
- Remove ingredients from the pan. Top with a big squeeze of fresh orange juice and fresh lime juice. Layer on the avocado, red onion, tomatoes, and cilantro. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This recipe has an awesome balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat to help you naturally release stored fat, build muscle and boost your energy! Eat up!