22 Apr White Bean and Rosemary Salad
When I need a fast and easy side dish, I make White Bean and Rosemary Salad. It’s really delicious and packed full of nutritious ingredients you probably already have on hand like olive oil, canned white beans, peppers, red onion and carrots (raw veggies = lots of vitamins and antioxidants). Add some fresh rosemary, white balsamic vinegar, garlic and just a touch of honey and this dish comes alive! Despite being just a “side”, White Bean and Rosemary Salad is really hearty with some kick a#$ flavor and pairs beautifully with a filet mignon, pork tenderloin, chicken or shrimp. Did I mention it’s easy? It takes only fifteen minutes to make so it’s perfect to bring to your next cookout. Let me know what you think!
White Bean and Rosemary Salad
Makes about 8 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated on a cheese grater
- 2 cans organic cannellini beans (low sodium), rinsed gently and drained very well
for the Dressing:
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (it’s just like regular balsamic vinegar except it’s clear/ colorless)
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 small sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
- about 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Toss peppers, carrots and onion in a medium size bowl. Add white beans and toss gently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ingredients for the dressing and drizzle over white bean salad. Toss gently.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
Though beans have protein, they do not contain complete protein and have a ton of carbs, so I still like to balance out this dish with a complete protein choice on the side like chicken, pork tenderloin or a perfectly cooked filet mignon. This dish also has some fat from the extra virgin olive oil so choose a leaner protein option on the side.