18 Apr Turkey Burgers with Grilled Pineapple and Chipotle Sauce
Craving a juicy burger? How about a burger with some bite? This version has a ridiculously delicious combo of seasoned turkey, sweet smoky pineapple, and a spicy chipotle sauce. Plus it has the perfect balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat to help you build muscle, release stored fat and feel amazing. Use a gluten free or whole wheat bun or a low carb wrap. Or better yet, go bun-free and wrap your burger in a large lettuce leaf or serve on its own with a side of your favorite fruit or sweet potato fries. Find canned chipotles in adobo sauce in the International food aisle at your local market. Warning: The Creamy Chipotle Sauce is HOT; just the way I like it. Simply lower the amount of chipotles if you like your sauce a bit more subtle. Dairy free? Skip the sauce or use a dairy free, unsweetened yogurt .
Turkey Burgers with Grilled Pineapple and Chipotle Sauce
Makes 5 burgers
For the burgers:
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- Your favorite cooking spray
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground turkey (this is as lean as I go for ground turkey!)
- 1/4 cup of water
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt or plain dairy free yogurt
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from can
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 5 fresh pineapple slices
- Leafy greens
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Choice of bun or big lettuce leaves to wrap the burgers
- Preheat the grill.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Coat with your favorite cooking spray. Sauté onions for approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic, sauté another minute or two and scrape the onions and garlic into a medium size bowl. Let cool.
- Add ground turkey, water, cilantro, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper to the onions and garlic and mix gently with your hands until just combined. Shape into 5 patties. Grill until cooked throughout.
- While turkey burgers cook, combine ingredients for the spicy chipotle sauce. Set aside.
- Grill pineapple slices until charred.
- Top bun or lettuce leaf with a layer of sauce, lettuce leaves, pineapple, the turkey burger, more sauce and finish with fresh chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This recipe has an awesome balance of protein and fat and a small amount of carbohydrates from the pineapple. Add a bun, wrap or fresh fruit on the side for additional carbohydrates to stabilize your blood sugar and help you to naturally burn fat and boost your metabolism.