01 Jul Vodka Coconut Creme & Berry Shots
It’s official. I am obsessed with these decadent Vodka Coconut Crème & Berry Shots. And every one of my testers (had tons of volunteers this time around haha) agreed- these are amazing! Gluten free, dairy free and all natural, these “shots” will give you a buzz without making you say “I’m never drinking again” the next morning! Picture a layer of antioxidant-rich raspberries infused with gluten free vodka (I like Tito’s) topped with a cloud of naturally sweetened coconut crème, fresh blueberries and toasted coconut. Plus they are sooooo easy to make! A couple tips. Make the vodka berry puree the day before to save time the day of your party and to help the mixture thicken. You can also make the coconut crème the day before too; you’ll just need to revive it a bit the day of with some of the reserved coconut liquid and a good stir. You can also turn this “shot” into a non-alcoholic kid-friendly treat by reserving some of the pureed berries before adding vodka. Use pretty shot glasses, mini glasses or even those little plastic cups that you would use for jello shots. And you can even transform these shots into an actual dessert; just use small bowls with bigger portions and add extra berries and coconut crisps on top! Love this? Please SHARE it!
Makes approximately 24 shots
For the vodka berry puree:
- 2 (12 ounce) bags frozen raspberries, defrosted
- Zest from 1/2 lemon (use a grater or microplane to gently zest the lemon rind (the yellow part for all of you non foodies)
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup gluten free vodka like Tito’s
For the vanilla coconut crème:
- 1 large bowl, stored in the freezer (it’s gotta be cold so stick it in the freezer for 15 minutes)
- 5 cans full fat coconut milk – turned upside down and left upside down in the fridge for 24 hours (don’t flip em’ back over)
- 1 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
For the garnish:
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, for garnish
- 1 bag no sugar added coconut crisps/ chips like Blue Monkey Coconut Chips (shaved and toasted coconut typically found in the snack aisle) – optional
You’ll also need a large sheet pan or serving tray
- For the berries: Puree defrosted raspberries and maple syrup or honey in a blender until smooth. Blend in remaining ingredients (it helps to keep the pureed berry mixture in the blender so you can easily pour it later), cover and refrigerate up to one day in advance.
- For vanilla coconut crème: Very carefully remove the cans of coconut from the fridge, making sure to NOT flip them right side up yet (keep them upside down) or let them tilt. Carefully remove the lid of the can and drain all of the liquid into a bowl. Set the liquid aside (you’ll be using some of it.) Next scrape the solid coconut crème from the can into the large cold bowl from the freezer. Whip on high with an electric mixer for 3 minutes or until stiff but creamy. Add remaining ingredients. Whip again for a minute or just until full combined. Add approximately ½ cup of the coconut liquid if necessary and mix again (you want the coconut crème to be the consistency of a very thick and creamy dressing.) Save the coconut liquid.
- When ready to serve, line shot glasses up on a sheet pan or serving tray. Pour a layer of the pureed berries into shot glasses or mini cups. Stir the coconut crème and make sure it’s liquid enough to drink (if not stir in a touch more of the coconut liquid.) Add a layer of coconut crème to the shot glasses or mini cups. Top with blueberries and coconut crisps. Serve immediately with straws (I cut regular size straws in half) or as is and drink up!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
These Vodka Coconut Crème & Berry Shots are all carbs and fat. If having these as a shot at a party or BBQ, make sure to eat some clean protein beforehand at the party and go light on the carbs elsewhere. Or maybe skip the brownies and processed desserts at the party and sip on these instead! If having for dessert, enjoy after a light dinner of lean protein like grilled chicken or shrimp and a salad or green veggies. The protein in the meal will help to balance the natural carbs in the shot.