26 Jul Greek Chop Chop Salad
A salad can be just as delicious and satisfying as a traditional entree IF it’s full of beautiful colors, different textures and obviously tons of flavor. This Greek Chop Chop Salad fits the bill! You can make this simple yet really interesting salad the night before (just chop the veggies, drain the entire bowl of veggies in the morning and then toss with the dressing before serving.)
In addition to being pretty easy on the eyes, this salad is full of vitamins and anti-aging, disease-fighting antioxidants due to the richly colored veggies. And it’s tossed with extra virgin olive oil, a heart healthy fat that can help reduce inflammation, improve brain health and may even help prevent heart disease.
Because veggies naturally have so much moisture, make sure to dry the veggies really well with a clean dish towel before chopping to prevent the salad from getting too watery. You can even dry gently pat the veggies again after you chop them with the clean towel to remove any excess moisture. Serve this awesome dish your favorite protein like salmon, shrimp, chicken or steak or top with hemp seeds for a balanced Vegan meal. If you’re whipping up Greek Chop Chop Salad for a bigger crowd, simply double the recipe. Love it? Please share it with the social media buttons below and let me know what you think in the comments 🙂
Greek Chop Chop Salad
Makes about 8 cups or 5 servings (1 1/2 cups per serving)
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 pints grape or cherry tomatoes, any color, sliced in half length wise and seasoned with salt and pepper (let em’ marinate a bit in the seasoning while you chop the other ingredients)
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated on a cheese grater
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained really well
- 1 cup Kalamata or your favorite olives (optional)
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced or grated
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
- Wash and dry veggies (dry them very well with a clean hand towel- we want to remove as much moisture as possible.) Chop all salad ingredients except for the olives and toss in a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic and red wine vinegar. Slowly stream in the olive oil while whisking continuously to form a vinaigrette. Whisk in the oregano, salt and pepper.
- About 30 minutes before serving, pour dressing over salad. Test for seasoning and add more salt, pepper or oregano as needed. Top with olives. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This recipe has a great balance of carbohydrates and fat. Add your favorite protein like seafood, steak, chicken, or hemp seeds for a balanced meal.