19 May Blistered Peppers with Spicy Garlic Sauce
This is one of those recipes that are almost too pretty to eat! Almost. Aside from looking good, this quick and easy side makes for an ideal app before dinner or for a crowd. And it just so happens to be good for you. Peppers are loaded in Vitamins A, C and folate. Enjoy..and feel free to share!
Blistered Peppers with Spicy Garlic Sauce
makes about 8 appetizer size servings
FOR THE PEPPERS:
- 2 lbs. mini sweet peppers or Shishito peppers (a sweet Japanese pepper)…don’t use anything too hot!
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt salt
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/3 cup low San-J Organic Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce (low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 ½ tbsp. honey
- ¾ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Sriracha sauce, as needed
- Dash of white pepper (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to broil. Place peppers on a sheet pan covered in tinfoil. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil and move peppers around with your hands to coat evenly. Season gently with sea salt. Broil peppers until slightly charred on all sides, turning where necessary.
- In the meantime, whisk together the first 5 ingredients for the Sweet & Spicy Garlic Sauce. Whisk in a few drops of Sriracha sauce at a time until the sauce is as spicy as you like. Add a dash of white pepper if desired.
- Serve charred peppers with sauce. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This side dish is made of a small amount of carbs and fat and should be served with a protein for a balanced meal.