04 May Real Strawberry Margaritas
I only recently started enjoying margaritas. And mainly because previously I had only ever had them made with sour mix, which not only tastes pretty bad but is also loaded in hydrogenated corn syrup, sugar and artificial ingredients (read: instant hangover!) If you’re a true margarita fan, you’ll love these clean and natural fresh fruit margaritas. They’re high in the anti-aging antioxidant Vitamin C thanks to the fresh fruit! Real Strawberry Margaritas are loaded with real strawberries (duh!), fresh orange and lime, a hint of pure maple syrup instead of processed white sugar and of course your choice of tequila (though I recommend gluten free 100% agave tequila.) Or you can be a total weirdo like me and skip the tequila and use gluten free vodka like Tito’s or Deep Eddy’s instead; it has a smoother flavor and more like a fruity cocktail than a margarita.
Feel free to skip the flavored rim if you’d like, but I used real coconut sugar (find it in the sugar aisle at your supermarket), sea salt and a pinch of cayenne and it added the perfect sweet, salty and spicy “bite” to every sip. Yum! You can make the margarita mix the night before and serve the next day and you can double or triple the recipe for a crowd. Love it? Please share it!
Real Strawberry Margaritas
Makes about 3 smaller margaritas or 2 large margaritas depending on what kind of night you are in the mood for 😉
- 1 (16 ounce) bag of frozen strawberries (no sugar added), completely defrosted
- All of the juice from 1 lime
- All of the juice from 1 orange plus 1 extra orange left whole
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup (not the fake stuff!)
- 3 ounces of quality, gluten free tequila (preferably 100% agave) or gluten free vodka like Tito’s
- ½ cup cold water
FOR THE GARNISHES (optional):
- 1 heaping teaspoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Big pinch of cayenne pepper
- Ice cubes
- Lime wedges, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- Puree the defrosted strawberries and natural strawberry juice from the bag, lime juice, juice from one of the oranges, pure maple syrup, tequila and cold water until really smooth in a blender. Taste and adjust to your liking…a dash more syrup, lime or tequila, depending on your tastes.
- Squeeze the juice from the extra orange into a small bowl and dip the rim of your glass into it evenly. Combine the coconut sugar, sea salt and cayenne pepper into a separate small bowl and dip the moistened rim of the glass into the spice mix evenly.
- Pour the strawberry margarita mix into each glass and add a couple of ice cubes (if you add too much, it will water down the margarita!) Garnish the edge of the glass with a lime wedge and sliced strawberry if you’d like.
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This fruity cocktail may be all natural and full of vitamins, but it’s still made of all carbohydrates. To prevent a blood sugar spike, enjoy this cocktail with a meal of protein, fat and light carbohydrates like vegetables. The protein and fat will help to balance the carbohydrates in the cocktail. And if you’re splurging and having these margaritas with fajitas or tortillas, consider it a treat meal!