24 Sep Gluten Free Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
I love pizza, but as someone who tries to avoid gluten as often as possible (it bloats me like crazy!), I don’t get to indulge as often as I want to. Until I discovered Glutenfreeda Artisan Flatbreads/ Pizza Crusts! These versatile, high fiber crusts are pre-cooked and sold frozen and grill up nice and smoky. Look em’ up online to find a local market that sells them. I also used Organicville BBQ Sauce because it’s all natural and sweetened with agave nectar instead of white sugar. If you’re interested in more truly healthy products and brands that I buy when I shop, check out my Shopping List & Product Guide– you’ll love it!
On another note, I made sure that this recipe includes not just carbs and fat (like most pizza) but plenty of shredded chicken too for added protein. One trick I always recommend is to cook up a bunch of roasted or grilled chicken breast for the week so you always have some quality protein on hand, especially on nights when you need it for a quick meal like this one! And if you don’t have time, just grab a cooked rotisserie chicken at your local market and remove the skin. Though the recipe calls for grilled corn, bell peppers and onions, the beauty of pizza is, you can pretty much add any veggies you have on hand. This includes veggies that are already cooked and sitting in the fridge taking up space! And arugula is an awesome green to have on hand because it stays really fresh and crisp, plus it has an awesome peppery flavor which is why it is commonly used on top of pizza.
I like to serve this Gluten Free Grilled BBQ Chicken & Veggie Pizza as an app at a dinner party or cookout or on family pizza night. Let me know what you think in the comments below!.
Gluten Free Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
Makes 4 smallish pizzas / about 8 servings
- your favorite gluten free grill spray or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ears of corn on the cob
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced in thick rings (don’t separate the rings)
- 2 cooked organic chicken breasts, shredded or chopped (or rotisserie chicken without the skin)
- ½ cup Organicville BBQ Sauce, or your favorite gluten free, all-natural BBQ sauce
- 4 Glutenfreeda Artisan Flatbreads/ Pizza Crusts (or your favorite gluten free pizza crusts), defrosted
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced into a paste
- About ½ cup gluten free tomato sauce (look for real tomatoes, not tomato paste, as the first ingredient)
- 1 ½ cups shredded organic mozzarella cheese
- A handful of fresh arugula
- Preheat the grill on medium. Oil the grill with your favorite gluten free grill spray or extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Grill the corn, pepper and onion slices until slightly charred. Set aside.
- In the meantime, toss cooked and chopped or shredded chicken in a small bowl with BBQ sauce and set aside.
- Lay the defrosted pizza crusts out on a large sheet pan. Brush gently with olive oil (especially the outer edge). Using your hands rub the minced garlic all over the crusts. Season the crusts with salt and pepper.
- Top the crusts with tomato sauce and cheese. Layer chicken then veggies on top. Season gently with salt and pepper.
- Grill on medium for about 5 minutes or so, keeping a very close eye as the bottom tends to burn! I don’t know if crusts are quick to burn because they are gluten free but I saved mine just in time!
- Remove from the grill and let pizzas cool down and “set” for a few minutes. Top with freshly arugula and enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This pizza contains protein, carbohydrates and fat. It’s slightly higher in carbs than protein due to the crusts and BBQ sauce but a million times better for you than traditional pizza!