18 Apr Game Day Chicken Quesadillas
So, game day is a BIG deal in Boston. Think lots of beer, fried food and yelling wicked obscenities at the TV. Ha! And as much as I like to indulge, I hate feeling bloated or hung over. These Chicken Quesadillas feel like a big splurge and keep me happy without sending my blood sugar through the roof. Score! Each quesadilla has a great balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat so you actually can burn fat and boost your metabolism during the big game (yup, it’s possible). Using a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the market saves you a ton of prep work and time. The more toppings you put inside of the quesadillas, the more vitamins and flavor, so load em’ up! This recipe was also featured on the New England Patriots website, which puts a big smile on my face. Enjoy!
Game Day Chicken Quesadillas
Makes 8 half size quesadillas- so double up for a crowd!
- Your favorite cooking spray
- 8 gluten free or whole grain wraps (mine were about 8″ in diameter)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed, meat shredded
- About 2 cups of real cheddar cheese (it’s game day- splurge a little!)
- 2 cups sliced cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Chopped jalapeno or jalapeno slices
- Plenty of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Your favorite all-natural salsa
- 2 % plain Greek yogurt (for dipping in place of sour cream)
- On one half of each quesadilla, layer ½ cup chopped chicken, 1/4 cup cheese, a spoonful or two of salsa (adds moisture and flavor), and desired toppings (sliced tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, onion). Fold quesadilla in half.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Gently place each quesadilla (2 at a time) in pan and grill on each side until lightly golden brown on the outside and the cheese is melted throughout.
- Serve with salsa, Greek yogurt and top with any leftover fillings/toppings. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
These quesadillas have a great balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat to stabilize your blood sugar and keep you satisfied.
Jessica BerardPosted at 20:25h, 14 November
My husband and I loved these. After he took his 1st bite, he said “Please put this on our permanent menu” I added some avocado to them too. Will definitely be making these again and again.
Valerie CogswellPosted at 19:48h, 22 December
That’s awesome! So happy you liked them 🙂