10 Jul Easy Orange Avocado Salad
Let’s be honest. Protein can be boring. There are only so many times you can eat a plain piece of chicken or fish. But protein is necessary to build lean muscle and boost your metabolism, so anytime I can add healthy flavor on top of my protein, I’m all about it. Say hello to Easy Avocado Orange Salad. This versatile, nutrient-rich salsa is packed full of bright flavor and awesome nutrition. Avocado contains healthy monounsaturated fats which may help to prevent heart disease and oranges are loaded in anti-aging, disease-fighting Vitamin C. Serve this beautiful salad on top of your favorite fish like salmon or haddock, shrimp, pork, chicken, in a wrap, on a burger and of course as a dip or salsa. Enjoy my friends!
Makes approximately 2 1/2 cups or 5 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 4 mandarin oranges or halos, segmented or 2 large oranges, segmented and cut in half (bite size pieces)
- 5 radishes thinly sliced – optional (you can buy them pre-sliced at the salad bar at your local market)
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- Juice from ½ lime
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- Small handful of fresh cilantro, chopped (I ran out when I took this picture but fresh cilantro adds so much flavor!)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 avocados, chopped into large chunks
- Toss segmented oranges, radishes and red onion in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together lime juice and extra virgin olive oil to make a dressing. Whisk in garlic, fresh cilantro and sea salt.
- Add avocado and cilantro lime dressing to the bowl of oranges, radishes and onion. Toss very gently to combine. If necessary, add a touch more sea salt to taste. This salad is best if enjoyed immediately but you can store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for two days. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This recipe is made of carbohydrates and fat. Serve it with your favorite proteins and a small amount of carbs like veggies for a macro-balanced meal.