15 May Curry Chicken Salad with Dates & Cashews
Tired of the same old turkey sandwich for lunch?!? Switch it up with Chicken Curry Salad; it’s deliciously rich and packed full of beneficial nutrition. While most chicken salads use only high fat mayonnaise as a base, this version uses a creamy combination of mayonnaise and low fat, plain Greek yogurt to reduce fat while providing tang and creaminess. For a dairy free version, try replacing plain Greek yogurt with plain unsweetened coconut yogurt. Curry powder gets its rich yellow color from turmeric, which has long been used for treating a variety of ailments. Turmeric contains the antioxidant curcumin which may help reduce inflammation, digestive challenges and may even help prevent the growth of cancer. Roasting chicken with the skin-on and bone in (and removing them before serving) locks in flavor and moistness. Roast chicken in bulk for the week ahead of time for easy meals like this one all week long. You can also fill your favorite wrap or a lettuce leaf with the chicken salad. Enjoy!
Makes approximately 4 cups
- 3 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- ¼ cup plus 1 heaping tablespoon mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons plain low fat Greek yogurt (or plain unsweetened coconut yogurt)
- 1 Tablespoon your favorite curry powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, grated (grate with a cheese grater)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (add some celery leaves too if you’d like)
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup dates or raisins
- ¼ cup dry roasted cashews
- Your favorite greens for salad
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover a large sheet pan with tinfoil. Bake bone-in, skin on chicken breasts approximately 35 to 45 minutes (depending on size of chicken breasts) or until chicken is cooked throughout and skin is lightly golden brown. Let chicken cool. Once it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and bones and shred the meat with your hands.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, low fat Greek yogurt (or plain unsweetened coconut yogurt), curry powder, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired- add more curry powder for a stronger curry flavor.
- Combine the shredded chicken, carrots, and celery in a bowl. Pour curry sauce on top and mix gently with a spoon. Fold in dates or raisins and cashews. Serve chicken salad on top of your favorite greens. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This recipe has a good balance of protein, carbohydrates and fat. It’s slightly low in carbs, so add a salad or even a small side of fruit to keep your blood sugar stable.