02 May Val’s Favorite Guacamole!
I have never met a bowl of guacamole I didn’t like. But if I had to choose my perfect bowl of guacamole, here’s how I’d make it; nice and salty with tons of lime, cilantro and red onion for bite. And that’s it. Oh and a little chunky (weirds me out when it’s too smooth.) That being said, I know guacamole is personal. So, use my recipe as a base and make it your own (you can add chopped tomato, jalapeno or even grilled pineapple!)
In addition to being delicious, guacamole is actually really good for you, thanks to avocados. Sure, avocados are loaded in fat, BUT it’s the good fat! Heart healthy monounsaturated fats like those found in avocados may help to reduce your risk of heart disease. It’s also important to note that fat doesn’t make you fat. Having a balance of protein, healthy carbohydrates and good fat like guacamole in every meal and snack stabilizes blood sugar and helps you to naturally release fat. So essentially fat helps you release fat- the key is pairing it with protein and carbs in the right amounts.
In addition, avocados are high in fiber, potassium, magnesium, B complex vitamins and vitamins E and K. So do your body some good and top fajitas, wraps, salads, chicken, shrimp, tortillas and raw or cooked veggies with my favorite guacamole….yum!
Val’s Favorite Guacamole
Makes about almost 2 cups or 7 to 8 servings
- 4 avocados, chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- Juice from one large lime
- Tiny handful of fresh cilantro (or desired amount), chopped
- ¼ heaping teaspoon sea salt
- Place chopped avocado in a medium sized bowl. Mash gently with a potato masher or fork (it should still be very chunky.) Add remaining ingredients and continue mashing just until combined and some chunks still remain (see picture!) Taste and add more salt or a touch more lime if needed. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
Guacamole is mostly fat. Serve it with protein and carbs like shrimp (protein) and veggies (carbs) OR chicken (protein) and corn tortillas (carbs) for a balanced fat burning meal.Yum