31 Jul Tomato Basil Quinoa Salad
Let’s face it. Quinoa can be boring if you don’t give it lots of love. But if you do? Like, say you add fresh tomatoes and basil, tons of garlic and a just-sweet-enough vinaigrette? It’s pure magic. This simple and fast salad is not only delicious but does a fantastic job at keeping your satisfied and boosting your metabolism, thanks to quinoa’s naturally high complete protein content. Plus it’s loaded in healthy fiber and vitamins and naturally gluten free. Make a batch for the week (just keep the greens and dressing separate until serving) or serve for lunch or dinner to the people you love. Love this recipe? Please share it!
Tomato Basil Quinoa Salad
Makes about 7 1/2 cups or 5 to 6 servings
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (follow the directions on the package and allow to cool completely and dry out on a sheet pan for about 20 minutes)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half and seasoned with salt and pepper
- juice from one large lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated on a microplane
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons honey or pure maple syrup (not the fake stuff!)
- handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 3 handfuls of arugula or your favorite greens
- Toss quinoa with tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Pour lemon juice in a small bowl. Slowly stream in olive oil, whisking constantly until the oil and lemon are combined. Whisk in garlic, salt, and pure maple syrup and pour vinaigrette over tomatoes and quinoa.
- Add fresh basil and arugula and toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Enjoy!
SO, WHAT’S THE NUTRITION BALANCE?
This recipe has a great balance of protein, carbs and fat and is a complete meal. You can add chicken or shrimp to it if you’d like to boost the protein content.